Victory means exit strategy, and it's important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is.    The Honorable Governor of Texas, George W. Bush

I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Shouldn't There Be Flashers?


In On the Beach, Nevil Shutes's bleak portrayal of the end of the world (for humans), one of the principals is a sports car racer. As he and his fellow Australians wait for the radioactive clouds to precipitate over their last bit of inhabited Earth the races take on a bit of recklessness, to say the least.

That was my first thought when I came across this display.

I do admit, however, that I know what this is really all about. Once last year I was foolin' around by the secretary's computer―which is tuned to ALL COUNTRY, ALL THE TIME―and I heard the song this quote comes from. It's Tim McGraw's, and it was a monster hit.

I'll save you the time. Dad got sick, hadn't much time, and decided to be a human being and also to enjoy himself. Loved his family deeper and demonstrated this by spending the little time they might have had left with him riding a bull, climbing a mountain, jumping out of airplanes, going fishin' with the buddies, etc.

Double-checked the connection on the Jesus hotline too, best believe it!

Okay, fine, whatever, it's a good-natured thought.

It just goes to show ya, in spite of the onslaught of vitriolic anti-intellectualism spitting out of the mouthpieces of "red" America, how hungry these people are for a little philosophy. Today, Tim McGraw. Tomorrow, Socrates?

Maybe not.

Anyhow, I was inspired. Now if he could just scootch his fat-ass pickup truck up about three or four feet I could access the right turn lane and get on with my own life!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home