Victory means exit strategy, and it's important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is.    The Honorable Governor of Texas, George W. Bush

I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Condy O, I Need You So!

I’ve been listening to a lot of discussion about the Cabinet changes of our present regime. Condy as Secretary of State? Not that important really; this has got to be one of the easiest jobs in the world!

To be Secretary of State for this regime all you really need is a copy/fax machine and an intact middle finger! But, seriously...

I played a little hoop in high school. Actually I spent most of my brief career hoping I wouldn't get in for the last two minutes of a rout and be utterly embarrassed in front of everyone, but as usual I paid a lot of attention.

To my coach the most important aspect of our season, the thing he wanted to read in the local paper, was that we were a well coached team. I remember thinking to myself that in a rebuilding year this seemed to be more important to him than talent, or at the very least, imagination.

This thought recurs as I consider what is going on with the Bush administration. There is clearly an impression that discipline and loyalty are being rewarded during this post-election reorganization. Antagonists and the grudgingly neutral are moaning that the core administration is isolating itself further behind a thickening fog of like-mindedness while others' reactions range from "Duh!" to something like these are the soldiers of American righteousness.

I think of that basketball season. I wonder if an emphasis on loyalty, discipline and regimentation must to some extent come at the expense of talent, imagination and receptiveness. I wonder if, while the appointees and civil servants are focusing on the "x"s and "o"s of the neo-cons, that teams from a consolidating Europe and an emerging China aren't running fast breaks left and right in ways we will recognize a bit too late.

3 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Blogger JD said...

The administration's stifling lack of imagination is fightening. You'd think that someone who condemns dictatorships so much might recognize the need for debate and value the opinion of this nation's clerisy.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Bullock said...

Re the B-ball allegory--
After Greenspan made his remarks today about the lingering deficit, you can tell he isn't part of the Bush team as the market (paid spectators) reacted predictably and hedged their future betting. Greenspan is more or less the referee and actually kept the US in the game for a long time.
Unfortunately, Bush won't see the wisdom of the call and won't change his tactics anytime soon.Bush practices his team like our old 'shuffle' offense, a rigid offensive strategy that moves the players around woodenly, interchangeably, no superstars. (better not shoot or you are benched)Just pass the ball and nobody gets yelled at.
I don't worry about the Europeans too much as they basically learned the game from us. But the celestrials, another story. They don't play fair in the classic Eurocentric sense. For example, they are snubbing their noses at de-valuing the yen which is going to wreak eventually even more havoc on our trade deficit situation.
The only thing I learned from our old alcoholic, attention-seeking coach was how to play defense.
Apply that to Bush &co. and you have one freaking scary situation.
Bullock

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger sequoit said...

I really do appreciate the response. Thanks also as I did not know that clerisy had a broader definition than the clerics and, though I certainly had heard of the Celestial Empire, I did not know celestial was synonymous with Chinese in any general way. Next up, capital punishment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home