Victory means exit strategy, and it's important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is.    The Honorable Governor of Texas, George W. Bush

I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, November 12, 2004

If I Call You Stupid, It's Your Own Damned Fault

I sent $150.00 to Wisconsin Public Radio today. I needed a new coffee mug and besides, what could piss Rush Limbaugh off more? That's my last shell lobbed of the port bow because since my life has changed......

Rush Limbaugh has ceased to exist! So has Hannity and Hot Lips Coulter and Scarborough and the whole lot of 'em. I'm trying, anyway. What has caused this sudden purification of the air? The election, of course. You see, it turns out that I've found myself on the elitist side in that I value intelligent leaders over decisive ones. It really seemed like a no-brainer to me because in the absence of someone who might be intelligently decisive I like the survivability of the intelligent non-decision over that of the unintelligent decision. But there I go again, all smarty-pantsy!

All these years I've been concerned that my genius!? would alienate people. Turns out they're all alienated anyway! As hard as I might try I simply cannot anticipate what these people will find stupid enough. I give up. I'm turning over a new leaf. If I'm going to be too smart for my own good (if you've ever heard that one you may as well join me) then dammit I'm going to do a much better job of it!

I am going to focus much more on non-commercial sources for my information. I may catch an Aaron Brown on CNN or a Keith Oberman on MSNBC but if there is any shouting, I'm out! For world news I will rely on...well...the world to a much greater degree. If anyone says "liberals" or "conservatives" I will immediately dismiss their argument as simplistic and toss in a CD. From now on I want specifics! If you want to have an issue based discussion with me you better not bring some crap you saw on NBC Nightly News or 60 minutes unless you can back it up!

I'm a little behind in my quest but there's no time like the present to begin to read non-fiction, and I vow to visit the library once a week with a shopping list prepared.

And then there's all that time in the car, and for me this is way too much. I think of all the time I've wasted listening to sports radio. Sports are fun, but geez, what's there to talk about after five minutes? Talk radio? Right! News Radio? Okay for a quick headline summary on the hour, but that's it. Through all the zaniness, incessant pandering and endless repetition of mindless commercials (okay, I admit one or two were clever) I COULD HAVE BEEN LEARNING SOMETHING!!

So I'd like to thank you one and all, you dismissors of intellectualism. I know who I am and I know what I want to be. For too long I've regretted not being you, now your choice has shown me in some definitive way that I will never be you. Thus is my way made easier.

1 Comments:

At 7:16 PM, Blogger sequoit said...

Thanks, I will check it out. I have ordered One Market Under God: Extreme Capitalism, Market Populism, and the End of Economic Democracy and What's the Matter with Kansas?: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America, both by Thomas Frank, to help me get started as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home