Victory means exit strategy, and it's important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is.    The Honorable Governor of Texas, George W. Bush

I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, May 18, 2006

She-demons

It's often not the things people say that tell you most about their mindsets, but the way they say them. Previously I posted how it seems to be conservatives who are always telling you, "What you need to remember is", "What's important for Americans to know is", etc. Here's another one. I've noticed a trend that Democrats refer to Republicans as Republicans, while Republicans refer to Democrats as "the Democrats". Conservatives are called conservatives. Liberals are "the liberals". I ask you, does one seem less inclusive than the other? Whenever I hear Sean Hannity say "the Democrats", a little twinge of fear creeps in. I wonder just how ancillary these people consider us.

Today on WPR I listened to John Podhoretz, who has written a book warning conservatives of the real threat Hillary Clinton poses to Republicans in the next presidential election. He's pushing Guliani over McCain, and more power to him. I don't care much about that, as I don't think any Republican has a chance in 2008. I think Americans, deep down, will vote their pocketbooks this time around, and I think they're onto the shill game of the Republicans. In their hearts, the median class American knows who is getting the shaft. They'll sit around in the bar and tell each other how the Dems have it all wrong on the hot button issues, but in the booth they'll be sorely inclined to try something new.

But I digress. What I want to talk about here is the title of Podhoretz's book, Can She Be Stopped?. I'm sure there are a lot of insights in the book. In general, I'm sure the book takes a fairly dry approach in analyzing the subject, though I'm unlikely to read it.

But then comes the marketing. Then comes the targeting of an audience. She is the demon. Hillary Clinton became Hillary about the time she set up in the West Wing of the White House instead of taking charge of banquet planning. And now, when it comes to the hook, even Hillary gets dropped to the subtitle. The point is primarily she.

It's the hot button of all hot buttons. She. Get ready for a lot of this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home